Thursday, January 20, 2011

RICHARDSON'S GROVE-OLD VISITOR CENTER, Oil Painting by Kathy O'Leary



Richardson's Grove is a stand of Old Growth Coast Redwoods growing on both sides of HWY 101 (Richardson's Grove State Park), between Laytonville and Garberville, California. It's an amazing experience to drive between these giants. Driving through, I always turn off my radio and open my car windows so I can better experience their presence. Cal Trans wants to widen the road at the grove to accommodate the larger duel trailer trucks (many people in our region are opposed to this expansion fearing damage to these very shallow rooted ancient beauties). This scene with the Visitor's Center was very tonalist in hue and value with subtle red and green compliments. something I always love to paint. This painting is 9 x 12 on linen panel. SOLD

3 comments: