Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Azalea Preserve" oil painting by Andrew Daniel



I worked on the initial layer of this painting out at the Mckinleyville Azalea Preserve with my friend Rick Tulley. When I got it home; as is often the case, I wasn't quite happy with the colors an composition that I had achieved outside.It seems like the way I see things in my minds eye is a bit larger then life, compared to what is there on the canvas when I return. So this time I decided to make some large changes to it and repaint over the top from memory. I guess this changes the emphasis of the end product. Instead of having the immediacy of a canvas painted directly from the subject, the viewer sees the vision and imagination of the the artist's response.

This painting is an oil painting on masonite panel. It measures 11" x 14" (28cm x 36cm). I have signed it on the front and back.If you would like to purchase it you can find it in my Etsy Shop.

1 comment:

  1. Nice color tones and overall design. I really like what you do with these close up flower groupings. Same with the one you posted last week.
    Andrew has a good show up at Garden Gate in Arcata. Check it out....

    ReplyDelete