Monday, December 12, 2011

Two Portraits of Chelsea by Andrew DanIel

"Chelsea in Red" oil on canvas 9" x 12"

This was the first painting I made of Chelsea at a figure group. It was a lot of fun painting her red dress. I rarely do figurative portraits, but I had just gotten some small brushes I wanted to play with and the dress she showed up in was quite special. So I had to give it a try!


"Chelsea" oil on wood panel 10" x 8"

This is the second of two portraits I created at a figure group that was meeting Fran Kuta's studio. I was playing around with saturating the colors to create bold form and strong shadows. It was really fun to paint in with these thick brush strokes and I was surprised by the result!

You can find these as well as others in my online shop.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way your placement of the face in the composition,
    high contrasts, dark outline on the right side plus her expression, and
    expressionist brushwork give her so much presence!
    Jim noticed something else interesting you did that I didn't notice
    until he pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with the background. That blue on the left and yellow on the right work so beautifully with the flesh tones and also create movement around the head. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete